New Years 2024
In the 8th decade of my life, I find myself still planning for the future. My goals are more modest than in the past, but are goals, nevertheless. I long ago gave up on New Year's Resolutions. They were quickly abandoned anyway.
This year I have only a few objectives. I have put them in outline form for clarity.
I. Follow my advisor’s suggestions to move from my house to an apartment for senior living
- A. Why? Although I have a very nice and comfortable
home that is well equipped with the safety features I require, the
upkeep and maintenance - mowing, snow removal, housekeepers, grocery and
meds delivery, repairs, insurance, pest control, and on and on – are
onerous. It will be a relief to write a single check or have an auto
- B. This will force me to at long last tackle downsizing so that I don’t leave a mess for my family to sort out.
- C. I have been told by several knowledgeable and
trustworthy people that moving while I am still active will allow me to
make friends and participate in social activities.
II. Finish writing a book in progress about the Civil War in southwest Missouri. The title will be Cowskin Prairie or some version of that. It takes place in 1861-62 when the war was raging in that part of the country.
- A. I have a first draft finished and think this is a
possible task. It is an opportunity to tell others about a beloved part
of my past and my ties to the Ozark Mountains.
- B. Continue to write for Pencil Stubs. I enjoy sharing stories with others.
I know this is brief, but it represents a lot of hard work. I am looking forward to it.
I wish all of you a very happy and prosperous New Year!