By Rod Cohenour
It is hearty.
It is healthy.
And, above all else, it TASTES GREAT!
Have fun with it.
Southwest Ground Beef Stew
By Cohenour Culinary Creations
* 2 lbs. low-fat ground beef
* 2 pkgs. Taco seasoning mix
* 1 tsp. ground black pepper
* 1 Tbsp chili powder (add later per instructions)
* 1 large onion, diced
* 1 large bell pepper, 1" chunks
* 2 large potatoes, diced in large 1.5" chunks
* 2 large carrots, diced
* 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained
* 1 (15.5 oz) can pinto beans
* 1 (14.5 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
* 1 (32 oz) can tomato juice, low salt
* 1 (32 oz) container beef stock, low or no salt
* 2 large Poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, deveined, deseeded, diced into large chunks
Garnishes, optional choices:
* Tortilla strips
* Flour Tortillas, warm
* Chilled butter
* Corn bread, plain or Jalapeno
* Sour cream
* Grated cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican Blend cheese
* Cilantro leaves, chopped
* Radishes, whole or sliced, chilled
* Green onions, chilled
* Bell pepper strips
* Pico de Gallo
- 1. Brown ground beef over medium heat in skillet, stirring with wooden spoon to break up. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix evenly over the browning beef. Stir well. Sprinkle with ground black pepper, stir well. When evenly browned, remove beef to waiting large 8 qt. stew pot, using slotted spoon.
- 2. Add to same skillet (without cleaning, using retained juices and crumbles) the onion and bell pepper. Cook until onion is transparent. Add to stew pot. Be sure to add all the scrapings from the skillet. Using very low fat beef means little grease but a flavorful addition to your stew.
- 3. Add potatoes and carrots to stew pot. Turn burner on to medium high to begin the simmering stage. Stir well.
- 4. Add canned vegetables, tomato juice, and beef stock. Stir well.
- 5. Add chili powder and stir well. Continue cooking stew, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- 6. Add poblano pepper to stew. Reduce heat to medium. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7. Serve with your choice of suggested accompaniments or garnishes.
A crisp salad and iced tea or lemonade make a great meal.