By Rod Cohenour
Rod’s Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This recipe will easily feed twelve people, but if you’re planning to only feed four, no worry – it keeps beautifully and the flavors merely become more wonderful when you reheat in the oven to serve again. No one has EVER refused this dish as a leftover at my house!
So fire up that oven, get your cutting boards out, and enjoy building this delicious concoction. It will become your family favorite as well, I believe.
Feliz Navidad and Prospero Nuevo Ano!
Rod’s Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 42 Corn tortillas (7 layers, 6 tortillas per layer)
- 1 can Green Chiles
- 4 cans Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 lg. Purple Onion, diced
- 4 Chicken Breasts, broiled and cubed
- Garlic Powder, 1 Tbsp.
- Chili Powder, enough to coat chicken plus 1Tbsp. for sauce
- Cumin, enough to coat chicken plus 1 Tbsp for sauce
- 1 lb. Four-Cheese Blend, grated
- ½ lb. Sharp Cheddar, grated
- Season chicken with garlic powder, chili powder and cumin on all
sides before broiling. Mix green chiles, enchilada sauce, cream of
chicken soup in a large bowl and whisk. This is your chile mixture.
- When chicken is cooked through and lightly browned, remove from broiler, permit to cool slightly and then cube.
- In large roasting pan, prepare seven (7) layers as follows:
- Chile mixture (small amount to prevent sticking)
- Tortillas (6 per layer)
- Chile mixture
- (Repeat for each layer.)
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Should be nicely browned and
bubbly. Serve hot with tortilla chips, salad and preferred side dishes.