By Rod Cohenour
Back to School –
Quick n Easy is the Word
It’s almost Fall and the kids’ schedules will rule the household, running late to school, it’s football practice, cheerleading practice, soccer, on and on and on. That means it is time for quick and easy meals that taste good and please the palate.
This is one of my favorites –
my version of Sloppy Joes.
- 2 lbs ground beef, lean
- 1 green bell pepper, diced large
- 1 red bell pepper, diced large
- 1 large onion, Spanish or Bermuda, diced small
- ¼ cup raw oats (Oatmeal but not the microwave or quick type)
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp prepared mustard
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 8 large hamburger buns, toasted
1. Begin browning ground beef in skillet. Season with a bit of the black pepper and top with onion and bell peppers. Cover and permit to smother cook until veggies begin to soften. Add in raw oats to help absorb and hold moisture.
2. Add chili powder, a bit more pepper, and garlic powder to the beef mixture. Stir well and continue cooking. Allow the meat to brown a bit to enhance flavor.
3. Add barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well, heat thoroughly.
4. Cover and permit flavors to blend well.
Serve beef mixture over open face, toasted hamburger buns. You can offer toppings of cheese slices, sour cream, grated cheese, and the like, but we like them as open face meat on buns.
Delicious served with baked beans and a tasty potato salad. Potato chips, radishes, corn chips are the traditional sides. Be sure to offer ice cold tea, lemonade, or soft drinks. The kids will love it!