By Mark Crocker
My Birth and Early Days
- My name is “she who must be obeyed”. But you humans know me as “Lexi May” or “Lexi” for short.
- Now where should I start?
- Well like any account of ones life it should start with the
most important event in your planets history. But being humans you don’t
- But to me it was the most important event in the history of
you planet. One of such great importance that you humans failed to see
it or even celebrate it.
- I was born in the early part of summer or late spring so my
mother told me. The birth of my sisters and brothers was of such great
importance that a week after our birth the sky flashed sliver, red,
blue, green, and yellow with loud bangs and parades of humans. And for
eight weeks I lived with my mother, sisters and brothers. Then a human
came and took us into captivity in a place that had birds, fishes,
lizards and yucky smelly puppies.
- My sisters and brothers picked their humans but mine never
came. And soon I was alone in my glass prison cell. Then more kittens
came and they too where held captive until they picked their humans.
- I was scared my human would never show and each day when
humans would come I would dread them picking me up and then ignoring me
and looking at the younger kittens that now shared my glass prison.
- Each day the humans would come and pick up the other kittens
and say “oh she is so cute, he’s so adorable. Mommy can I have her or
daddy can I have him” it would almost turn my stomach hearing the humans
being used so easy by us chosen ones. But my biggest dread was as I
have said that my human would never show up.
- Then one day he showed up with his female daughter. But he was
not interested in me. But his daughter was and without looking at the
other kittens she knew that I was for her dad. But the trick was to get
him to take me home with him.
- My plan was simple and it was so easy to put the idea into the
human’s daughters mind. So easy and so simple yet it almost did not
happen as I planned.
- I heard him say “look at the other kittens before you make up your mind which one you are going to pick”.
- She answered back as she picked me up “This is the one I want. She needs me”.
- And in away it was true I did need her. I needed her to help
me so that the human that needed me and was mine would take me away from
my glass prison.
- As we left the glass prison my heart felt so happy and light
as the first part of my plan was happening as I had planned. But the
second part was going to be harder.
- I had to make the male human bond with me and that was not going to happen as long as I was in the arms of his daughter.
- As she carried me to her motorized box that human’s use for
transport I had to think fast and pop an idea into her head so that she
would hand me over to him.
- At the motorized transport I at last got the idea into her mind and she looked over at her dad.
- “Dad could you hold the kitten while I drive us home” said the female human.
- To which he answered “I will drive as you need to bond with the kitten”.
- My heart sunk as the male human was not going to hold me and
if he did not hold me he would not bond with me. So I had to use all my
will power to make the female talk the human male into hold me.
- “Dad it’s my car and I will drive. So hold onto the kitten and
when we get home I will hold her and she will bond with me” said the
- “No you need to bond with her. She will be scared in the car
and if you calm her down she will bond with you and that’s what you need
and what you should do. So I will drive and you make a fuss of the
kitten by blow gently into her nose, pet her fur and she will bond with
you” said the male human.
- My heart sunk like a rock as this is not what I wanted as if
he did not bond with me now it would never happen and my human would be
gone and I would have to make do with the female and that’s not what I
- “No” said the female human and she pushed me at the male human
who had no other option but to take me. “It’s my car and I will drive
and you will hold onto the kitten”.
- I was so relieved that I started to cry. I had almost failed in my plan and my human was not going to bond with me.
- But now I was in his arms and I could start to make him bond with me.
- We got into the motorized transport and he held onto me as I
was still crying in relief. As he held onto me he stroked my fur and
blowing gently into my nose so that I could smell his breath. I snuggled
into him and entered his mind so I could start making him bond to me.
- The sound of motorized transports terrifies me. Even now four
years later I get so terrified of the sound that they make I still cry
and get very upset.
- I felt the transport moving and in a mix of fear and relief I
snuggled into my human and let him help me relax and at the same time he
started to bond with me. Or that’s what I was hoping.
- We arrived at the female place and I smelt another one of us chosen ones.
- My heart sunk as I was not going to be the center of the world
as I would have to share the male human with another of us chosen ones.
- I was just getting relaxed with my human when he suddenly and rather unkindly handed me back to the female human.
- I was shown where the water was kept and then the food and lastly where I was to go to do my litter.
- The female human played with me and tried to bond but a few things were going on that she was unaware of.
- The other chosen one was telling me that I was lower than she
and that she was the owner of the female human and I should do as I was
- And to make matters worse my human was having nothing to do with me.
- My heart sunk to the lowest it has even been. All my plans had failed and the male human that I wanted had not bonded.
- The human female was kind but not who I wanted so I had to
think of how I would get him to bond with me. But that was made harder
by the other chosen one who had made it very clear to me by clipping my
ears and cuffing me across the back of the head that I was second and I
was not going to be first.
- The humans played with me and made a fuss of me while all the
time the other chosen one made it clear she was first and I was second.
- Now it was time for the humans to rest and the female
human picked me up and with the other chosen one leading the way we went
to her sleeping chamber to sleep.
- This was not what I planned as I wanted to snuggle with my
human that I had picked. But now the female human was taking me away
from him and somehow I needed to get free so that I could snuggle with
- The female held me and soon as much as I did not want it to happen I fell asleep next to her.
- I awoke awhile later and knew at once my chance had come so as
quiet as I could I slipped away from the female human and left her
sleeping chamber and headed to find my human.
- I found him asleep on the floor in the main room. So I walked
up to him and started to climb up his body so that I could sleep next to
- He woke up and at first I thought he was going to take me back to the female humans sleeping chamber but thankfully he did not.
- To show my happiness I snuggled into him and started to purr to show that he was my human and that he had no say in the matter.
- I tried to slip into his mind but humans for all their
simplicity can sometimes be very hard to control. But in my defense I
was only 12 weeks old and my mother had never finished teach me how to
control humans as my sisters and brothers had been taken to prison
before she had the chance to finish teaching us.
- Not only had she not had the chance to finish teaching us how
to control humans she had not been able to finish teaching us how to
hunt and kill if we needed nor how to protect ourselves against other
- As I laid there snuggling and feeling safe with my human all
these thoughts raced though my mind before I felt my eyes become heavy
again and sleep once again over came me.
- I awoke with the other chosen one muttering at me telling me
that the humans here where hers and that I should always remember that I
was second and that she was first and first above all others.
- She strutted over her tail held high and shaking. She fluffed
her tail up and started to hiss as she told me that if I stepped out of
line she would do more than smack me down.
- Her muttering and hissing woke my human and he looked at her and then he hissed back at her just like one of us chosen ones.
- The days pasted and my human acted with indifference to
me. Sometimes he would pick me up and make a fuss of me but each night I
would sneak out from his daughters sleeping chamber and go and curl up
next to my chosen human.
- Then one day he was gone.
- Fear and panic set in and I sat in the window looking for him to come back. I cried and cried as I felt that I was alone.
- The other chosen one reminded me that I was second to her and
she would hiss at me “you are second to me and don’t you forget that”.
And each night I would sneak out from the females sleeping chamber and
sit in the window and cry hard that my human was gone.
- I did not feel like eating or drinking and the female human noticed this and started to worry.
- The female human is not a bad human just not my chosen human
and she had other things to do in her life than to pay much attention to
me. I was just a kitten to her that she was looking after.
- But she is kind and did worry about me not eating or drinking.
- So one day she used that little thing that humans use to talk to each other when they are far apart.
- She then brought it next to me and placed the small thing next
to my ear. And oh such sweet joy. I heard the voice of my chosen human
talking to me.
- He told me not to worry and to be a brave kitten and that he would come and see me again soon.
- I felt so much better and so very hungry and so very thirsty.
- You know that they have the ability to talk telepathically but
they don’t use that ability or seem aware that they can do that. If you
ask me that’s such a waste.
- Well the days and weeks went by slowly and the other chosen
one was always mean to me. She would cuff my ears and get between me and
the food and water. I would have to wait until she had her fill before I
could eat. And sometimes she left me with so little food that I was
hungry all night.
- Then one day I was sleeping in the window which was the only
place that I was safe from the other chosen one, when I heard footsteps
that I knew.
- It was my human and my heart leapt so high that I was sure it would of jumped out of my mouth.
- As he opened the door I ran so fast to him that I tripped over my own feet and landed in a heap of fur and legs at his feet.
- The other chosen one laughed at me and told me I was an idiot
for making a fool out of myself by running in a fashion that was below
us as the chosen ones.
- But I did not care as my human had come to me again.
- But the other chosen one walked over and got between me and him.
- My heart sunk again as I thought he was going to pick her up
and take her over me. But he gently pushed her away and picked me up and
held me close.
- He rubbed my ears and stroked my fur and made such a fuss of
me that I could not help but purr. Then he gave me treats. And when the
other chosen one came over he moved her gently away and give her, her
own set of treats.
- To that point I had never been so happy to see anyone. But the return of my human made me happy.
- Oh how happy was I?
- Think of this. From the day I was born until the return of my
human I had always had to do as others told me. With the other chosen
one “it was do as I tell you and I won’t hurt you”. With the female
human it was “I will make a fuss of you later”. And when the female
human was not around the other chosen one would tell me “stay away and
let me sleep”. Or if I was asleep she would say “wake up its time to
play”. Or “Wake up I need to make it so the female human blames you for
something I knocked over”.
- I was not happy at all where I was living. Sadness and lack of
my human made my days painful and sad. Each minute seemed like an hour
and each hour seemed like a day and each day felt like an age.
- But he had returned so I would be safe as he would not let the
other chosen one boss me around. And what’s more he made sure that I
had plenty to eat and cleaned my litter box every time it was used even
when the other chosen one used it, instead of using her own litter box.
- And at night I did not have to sneak out of the females sleeping chamber.
- He played with me he stroked my fur he bushed me so my fur
shone like the morning sun. He gave me treats and made me purr. He would
rub my belly and make me wriggle and purr. I was happy that he had
- One afternoon when my human went out with his daughter I
told the other chosen one how happy I was and how glad that my human was
- “Back” said the other chosen one “I suppose that you think he will take you away”?
- “Yes he will” I said. “He will take me away from you and here
and I will be happy and loved” I should have said nothing but I might be
one of the chosen but I never said I was smart.
- “Why would he choose a little bit of fluff? Why would he want
to take you away from here? Why would he care about someone that is only
second” said the other chosen one.
- Her words hurt so badly that I ran and hid in the window and cried.
- When I looked up with my eyes full of tears I saw my human
looking down at me. He came inside and out of a little white box he
pulled out something a kind of reddish pink that smelt so good.
- The other chosen one came running over and tried to get
between me and my human. But instead he broke of a small piece of the
reddish pink thing walked over to her food bowl and placed it in her
- Then he held what he had saved me in his fingers and offered it to me.
- I sniffed it then I licked it. And it tasted so good. In fact in tasted like nothing I had, had before.
- So I bit gently into it and it melted in my mouth. And oh the
taste? It tasted so good that I took another bit and then another bit
and soon it was all gone.
- I looked up at my human and with my paws and claws I held his
hand so I could lick the last of the taste of whatever it was off of his
- He then rubbed my ears and made a fuss of me until I could not help but purr.
- Well the days went by and I spent as much time as I could
with my human. I would curl up in his lap and let him rub my belly, or
rub my ears or even rub my nose.
- But when he was not around the other chosen one would cuff my
ears or smack me down with her paws and a few times she would unleash
her claws on me making me squeal and cry in pain.
- Then horror hit me.
- I saw his bags packed one morning by the door just like the time before when he left me behind.
- My heart sunk again down into my paws.
- The other chosen one walked over her tail held high and she sat down in front of me.
- “He’s going away again and he’s not taking you away with him” said the other chosen one.
- I saw nothing as it looked like she was right as his bags
where packed by the door and he was making sounds in the place human go
to make themselves clean.
- My heart sunk even lower as I knew that I would have to live
with the other chosen one and the female human and the other chosen one
would make my life painful and sad as she would remind me every day that
my human had not taken me away and that she was first and I was only
- Then outside I heard the footsteps of the human female and the
door opened and she had a funny looking box with bars on the front.
- She placed the funny looking box down by my humans bags and
when he came walking out of the place that humans go to clean themselves
she spoke to him.
- “Dad you are leaving today. I want you to take your bloody cat
with you or she will howl and cry and not eat until I have to call you
again so that you can speak to her and make her relax and happy. So take
your bloody cat with you as it’s clear as day that she is not my cat”
said the female human to my human.
- The other chosen one came walking over to me and looked at the
funny looking box and sniffed it. She then turned towards me with a
strange look in her eyes.
- “They will put you in the cage and take you to a transporter.
Then they will transport you far away and stop. Then they will get out
of their transporter at the side of the road and open the cage and push
you out. Then they will leave you alone with no food no water, no
shelter and no one to care for you”.
- I became scared at her words so I ran and hid under the sleeping platform in the female humans sleeping chamber.
- After awhile I fell asleep and woke to being very hungry so I
got up dreading that they would take me far away and abandon me and even
worse that my chosen human had left me behind to be with the other
chosen one and the female human.
- But my human was still there sitting on the couch taking a
nap. So I climbed up on him and rested on him while I did some thinking.
- To me anything was better than being mistreated by the other
chosen one and not being made a fuss of by the female human. Beside the
other chosen one could of being just saying those nasty things about
being abandon just to make me scared and afraid. And to be honest it had
worked. But my human would not do that to me. I knew that in my heart
that he would not take me far away and abandon me and leave me with
nothing and all alone.
- I walked over to the funny looking box and sniffed it.
- It did not smell bad in fact it had hardly any smell at all and definitely not a bad smell that would mean harm or danger.
- So I stepped into the box and my human suddenly closed the
cage door on me. He then picked up the box with me in it while his
daughter helped to carry his bags down to his transport.
- As soon as all his bags and me where in his transport it hit
me hard and I knew he was going to take me far away and that the words
of the other chosen one where true. I was going to be abandoned and left
alone with no idea where I was or how to get home!
- Panic overtook me as I heard the sound of the transport starting up and then the feeling of it moving.
- I could not help myself but cry.
- Then I heard his voice speaking softly telling me that I was
going to where he lived which was far away from his daughter. As he
spoke a mix of fear and relief overtook me but I could not stop crying
as the feeling of motion and the sound the transport made me very
- I cried louder and louder at the transport felt as if it was
moving faster and faster. I knew that we were getting further and
further away from all that I had known and all that I had liked. Not
that I had liked much as the other chosen one had been mean to me and
the female human did not have time for me. But I knew what was happening
there and while I might not have been happy I was safe. But this was an
unknown to me and something new.
- The minutes felt like hours to me as the transport moved while
I could not see what was going on. All I could see was my human sitting
next to me hold the steering wheel in his hands and taking me further
and further away.
- I cried louder and louder as fear and panic has over taken me
and the words of the other chosen one echoed in my ears. “They will put
you in the cage and take you to a transporter. Then they will transport
you far away and stop. Then they will get out of their transporter at
the side of the road and open the cage and push you out. Then they will
leave you alone with no food no water, no shelter and no one to care for
- Then I saw his fingers poke into the cage and I smelt them and
the smell made me relax a little. As he poked his fingers into the cage
I heard his voice start to make a funny and musical sound.
- I guess that’s what humans sound like when they sing. Most of
us chosen ones don’t like human singing but I will admit I do like it as
my humans singing sooths me. Even back then it soothed me as it does
- But each minute in that transport felt like an hour and each
hour felt as long as a day. And the further we went the more I started
to believe the words of the other chosen one.
- Thoughts kept racing though my mind “maybe she is right”?
“Maybe he will abandon me”? “Maybe he is not my human”? The thoughts
kept on coming and fear built up inside me. Yet the sound of his singing
soothed me and after what seemed like a year I started to relax and
give myself up to whatever was going to happen.
- “Sadly” I thought to myself “if he abandons me I will survive
and find him and make his life painful. Then I will come back to the
place where the chosen one lives and I will get even with her. Then I
will make the female human pay for picking me”.
- Then it hit me that my thoughts had turned bad and mean and
that I was being just like the other chosen one? Maybe what she had said
about being abandon had happened to her? Maybe that was why she was
mean to me as she feared that she would be pushed out and made to live
where she was not safe and where she had no food or water.
- Suddenly I felt sad for the other chosen one as what she had
said was not to hurt me but to make me tough and ready to take care of
myself if needs be. She was not being mean to me by smacking me down or
treating me rough. She was making me tough so that if the worst happened
I could take care of myself.
- I think I might have fallen asleep at some point as when I
opened my eyes the air felt thinner and colder. And the transport sound
as if it was having difficulties and it felt as if it was not going as
- But my human was still singing but his voice sounded rougher and as if it was dry and needed water.
- I sniffed the air and smelt things I had never smelt before
other than what the female human used to clean the floor. The other
chosen one had told me that it was the smell of pine. But to be honest I
did not know what pine was other than the smell.
- Awhile later the transport seemed to be going faster and the
air felt heavier again and I could breathe better as there was more air
getting into my lungs which felt much better than gasping for each
breath that I had been doing.
- The transport stopped for a moment and my heart sunk. “This is
it” I thought to myself as I saw my human get out of the transport.
Then much to my relief he sat back down and the transport started to
move again and my human started to sing to me again.
- Again I must have fallen asleep as the transport sound like it
was struggling again. The air too felt colder but it was not hard to
breathe like it had been before.
- Then I felt the transport stop and the sound it made went away. I saw my human get out and take his bags with him.
- “This is it I thought” and I moved to the back of my cage
thinking that if I was to be abandoned I would make it as hard as
possible for him to throw me out.
- He came back to the transport and I felt him pick up my cage and I saw things that meant some kind of human building.
- Then it was warm. Well warmer than in the transport anyway.
- The door to my cage opened and my human reached in gently and pulled me out.
- I looked around and saw that I was in a human building. I
sniffed the air and it smelt of my human. I looked around as he held me
and carried me around.
- So this was where my human lived.
- Other than colder than I was use to it was not bad. No smell of other chosen ones. No other chosen one.
- I liked that idea of no other chosen ones around. So my human was to be my human and no other chosen ones at all.
- Then he put me down on the floor and let me walk around while he made the building warmer and went off out of sight.
- When he turned he had two bowls. One he filled with water and another he put my food in.
- I sniffed the water and it smelt better than the water I had
at the female humans place. And the food tasted good. Well not as good
as the food I had eaten off of my humans fingers but better than the
food the female human had put out for me and the other chosen one.
- But the bowls? Now that confused me as they smelt of me but
not me. More an older me? It’s hard to explain if you are not one of the
chosen. If you where one of the chosen you would understand how bowls
can smell of an older you when you are young.
- You see we are not like humans at all. Not just because we walk on all fours or have tails and pointed ears.
- No we are so far above them that we have to treat them as pet
and let them think they are in control of us when in fact it’s the other
©Mark Crocker's new series about Lexi.