By Rod Cohenour
Melinda’s Pollo Poblano Chowder
Welcome to Autumn! The best time of the year for warm food, fun festivities, and feasts fit for kings – all in the manner I love – Nuevo Mexico!
Melinda’s *Pollo Poblano ChowderMelinda Cohenour – originated July 27, 2013
- 3-4 boneless skinless Chicken breasts, grilled and diced
- 2 large Poblano peppers, blackened, skinned, de-seeded and diced
- 2 lg. Onions, diced
- 4-5 stalks Celery, diced
- 3-4 Carrots, sliced very thin (dimed)
- 1-2 lg. Bell Peppers, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c Flour
- 1 stick Butter – split in half
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (non-flavored)
- 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 qt whole Milk (can use chicken broth or stock)
- 2 c heavy Cream
- 2 c Corn kernels (fresh from cob, canned and drained or whole frozen)
- 1 can Cream of Cheddar soup
- Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- Shaved Cheddar and Pepper Jack, for garnish
- 1 bunch Green Onion, sliced thin, for garnish
- Sour Cream, for garnish
- Rinse, dry, season and grill chicken breasts. Permit to cool, then dice. Set aside.
- Blacken Poblano pepper on all sides, place in plastic bag while
still warm, let set a few minutes, then remove tough outer skin, split
open, de-stem, de-seed and dice. Set aside.
- In large pot on medium heat, melt half stick of butter, add
vegetable oil. When pan is hot, add onion and bell pepper and permit to
caramelize. When onions are transparent, add carrot, celery and garlic.
Stir and season with pepper. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of the flour
over vegetables and stir. Do not permit to burn.
- Add remaining butter and stir to melt. To remaining flour add 2
Tbsp water and whisk. Add this roux to pot and stir. Heat and stir at
least one minute to permit roux to cook. Season with pepper and cumin.
Add milk (or chicken broth) and heavy cream to pot, stir. Lower heat
and permit chowder to simmer until carrots are softened. Stir
occasionally to prevent scorching. Chowder should thicken.
- Add chicken, Poblano pepper and corn. Permit to heat thoroughly. Then add cream of cheddar soup. Stir well.
- Serve with hot flour and corn tortillas, Tortilla chips, butter
and garnish offerings of cilantro leaves, shaved cheeses, green onion
and sour cream. Salad and iced tea finish this meal nicely.