By Rod Cohenour
Welcome in the New Year with a delectable dessert. Everyone loves fresh (or even frozen and thawed) berries and heavenly light whipped cream. Add a tasty prepared pound cake and the summery memory of juicy oranges and you've created a New Year's Delight, my better half's take on an Old Fashioned Trifle.
Bon appetit ~!
Ms New Old Fashioned Trifle
- 1 pound cake, loaf style (you can substitute angel food cake but it will not be as rich, I prefer pound cake)
- For The Pudding,
Prepare Vanilla Jell-O Cook & Serve Pudding mix as directed on 3.4 oz box, which provides 3 cups custard pudding
4 tbsp. fresh orange juice
1/2 c. orange marmalade
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries or blackberries
- For The Topping:
1 c. heavy whipping cream, chilled
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
3 tbsp. toasted sliced almonds
- Prepare the pound cake by slicing in one-inch layers, then cutting each layer into one-inch squares. Cover to keep moist.
- Prepare Jell-O Cook & Serve Pudding as directed on 3.4 oz. Box. Makes 3 cups custard pudding.
- Arrange half (or go thirds of each) of the pound cake in the
bottom of a trifle dish or 2-quart glass bowl. Drizzle with 2
tablespoons of orange juice. Top with half each (or one-third) of the
marmalade, blueberries, and cooled custard. Repeat layering. Cover with
plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Beat heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar with an
electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add Vanilla Extract and blend in to whipped cream. Spread over trifle. Sprinkle
- Serve and enjoy!
Bon appetit ~!