By Rod Cohenour
that virtually all of us enjoy.
This particular version,
put forth by my wife Melinda,
is absolutely marvelous.
Take it, use it,
and enjoy it.
M's Best Meatloaf Recipe
- 4 lbs. ground beef, prefer lean
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, de-string and slice in thin slices
- 1 cup 3-minute oats (to help absorb and hold in juices)
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1 small can tomato paste or 1 cup catsup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Catsup
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp French’s yellow mustard
and 1/2 cup shredded cheese (separate from sauce)
- Put all ingredients for meatloaf mixture into large mixing bowl. Use hands to mix together.
- Grease 9”x13”x2” casserole dish. Form meatloaf mixture into
dish, pulling back from edges to form a “gutter” for grease to collect
and be removed during cooking.
- Bake at 350º - 375º for about 45 minutes to an hour (you want
the loaf to be well browned, cooked through, but still moist and
delicious. Cooking times will vary with the individual oven. Check it
from time to time.)
- After meatloaf has begun to brown, stir together topping sauce
and drizzle over top of loaf, using zigzag movements. Continue to cook
until meatloaf is well browned and completely cooked throughout.
Serve with tossed salad, green beans (or other green vegetable), mashed potatoes and hot bread.
Click on the author's byline for bio and list of other works published by Pencil Stubs Online.
This issue appears in the ezine at www.pencilstubs.com and also in the blog www.pencilstubs.net with the capability of adding comments at the latter.