By Rod Cohenour
Memorial Day weekend has arrived. A time to commemorate our Military heroes, family members who have preceded us beyond the veil, and a time to rejoice in the company of our living friends and family. What better way than to prepare a delicious meal and share fond memories.
My sweet wife has another great recipe for the occasion, her Chicken Milanese made with her signature sauce. Here's her recipe. Enjoy.
Bon appetit ~!
M's Chicken Milanese
- • Six boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened to an even thickness to ensure even cooking
- • 2 Tablespoons oil, corn oil provides a great flavor
- • 1 cup seasoned flour ( just sprinkle with ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of Italian Seasoning, whisk)
- • 2 large bell peppers, seeded, cut in 1/2" pieces
- • 1 bunch green onions, diced (use green tops as well as bulbs)
- • 1 large (23.2 oz or 28 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- • 1/2 cup water (can add more if needed)
- • 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- • 2 teaspoons Oregano
- • 2 teaspoons Marjoram
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- • Fresh sweet basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- • 2 lbs spaghetti, prepared per directions on pkg (use pasta of your choice of course)
- • 2 Tablespoons butter
- • 1-2 Tablespoons dried parsley (your taste preference)
- • Fresh grated or prepared Parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat oil in heavy skillet. Rinse chicken in cold water.
Dredge in seasoned flour. Brown quickly on both sides on medium high
heat. Lower heat.
- 2. Mix soup, water (used to rinse out can), Italian seasoning,
and spices. Pour over chicken fillets in skillet. (We use our large
oblong electric skillet with its domed lid.)
- 3. Top chicken with Bell pepper and green onions. Bring just to
a simmer and cover tightly. Cook, without stirring on low heat for
about 30-45 minutes. (See below. Chicken is done when piercing in
thickest part results in clear liquid being released.)
- 4. Prepare spaghetti, drain, add butter and stir to coat pasta. Cover and keep warm.
- 5. Check chicken to see if tender. If not cooked through and tender, may need to continue cooking for up to 15 minutes
- 6. Toss spaghetti with parsley.
- 7. To plate: top spaghetti on individual plates with a chicken
breast fillet and then sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and garnish with
- Best served with hot crusty bread, a crisp salad and creamy Italian dressing.